Starting in Fall 2012, new rules took effect:
- No discrimination against students under age 19 based on pre-existing conditions;
- Health plans will not be allowed to drop coverage after you get sick;
- The elimination of lifetime benefit caps and the phasing out of annual benefit caps; by Fall 2012, SHIPs must cover $100,000 of covered benefits per year.
- Free preventive care, including birth control.
- A greater percentage of premium dollars must go to medical care.
For more information call Health Help Mississippi at 1-877-314-3843