You may not have to pay a fine if:
- You cannot find insurance that costs less than 8% of your household income after tax credits and any contributions by your employer are applied,
- You are a Native American, religious objector, or incarecerated,
- You uninsured for less than 3 months in a year,
- Your household income is below the threshold for filing income taxes (about $10,000 for individuals and $20,000 for married couples), or
- You would have qualified for Medicaid if your state expanded Medicaid coverage, but your state has decided not to do so.